Re: Diving will be Prohibited/Not an accurate statement

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on July 27, 2001 at 00:07:15:

In Reply to: Diving will be Prohibited at Santa Barbara Island & others posted by Chris on July 26, 2001 at 20:15:55:

While Chris is correct that the DFG is empowered to designate these areas and POSSDIBLY restrict diving in them, you need to read through each of the proposals for the 24 areas in the South Region to understand what's actually being proposed. "Restricting diving" isn't on the list.

In almost every case, it simply says, "No recreational or commercial fishing will be allowed." Although I recoignize that many people hunt responsbily, I also recognize that some do not, and I personally don't have a huge problem with this proposed restriction.

(Even on Crhis' map, it clearly states "MARINE RESERVE: No commercial or recreational fishing. MARINE PARK: Some recreational fishing, but no commercial fishing. MARINE CONSERVATION AREA: Some recreational &/or some commercial fishing." In NO case does it state "No diving" and in NO case is an entire island surrounded by the designated areas, which means NO island would be totally off-limits, REGARDLESS of how you intepret the proposed regulations.)

However, I do find it interesting as to what's being proposed for Farnsworth Bank. It is as follows:

"Proposed regulations: No anchoring or commercial fishing permitted. Recreational fishing permitted for pelagic species only (pelagic species for this purpose are considered to be: yellowtail, tunas, mackerel, sardines, anchovy, and barracuda).

"If this is an existing site, is this a change in existing regulations? Yes. Current regulations only prohibit the take of purple coral (Stylaster californica)

"Criteria and rationale for recommendation: This is a very unique series of rocky pinnacles providing habitat for rockfish, lingcod, and other groundfish species. It is also known white and pink abalone habitat. The current restrictions on take of purple coral are consistent with a park designation, to protect this interesting and unique species in a relatively pristine state. Further protection of this fragile species will be provided by restricting anchoring. This Park will allow fishing for pelagic species which frequent the area while providing additional habitat for rockfish and abalone rebuilding."

The key thing here (to me) is the proposed prohibition of anchoring. On the one hand, I agree that if you want to protect the purple coral, prohibiting anchoring makes sense.

On the other hand, as a charter operator who frequenbtly dives Farnswroth, I don't relish the idea of live-boating the area.

As one who has publicly opposed the idea of a mooring(s) at Farnworth (makes it too easy for everyone to find it and might increase accidents), if this restriction should go through, I'll be the first one clamoring for moorings so we can continue to safely dive it. (And I'llbe the first to admit this is a selfish position strictly driven by business concerns.)

We (Reef Seekers) would not feel comfortable running live-boat operations at Farnsworth and I'm sure the operators we deal with (Great Escape, Encore, Cee Ray, Mr. C) wouldn't be too crazy about the idea either, regardless of how we felt.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]