Re: Question for Wreck diver's

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AADIVER on July 30, 2001 at 18:00:42:

In Reply to: Question for Wreck diver's, but all can jump in posted by MHK on July 30, 2001 at 16:42:38:

Most ships sunk for artificial reefs have been pretty well stripped of saleable artifacts to help finance the prepping and sinking. I assisted in stripping the YUKON last year with Kevin. It's very unusual for a ship to be sent down with portholes intact. As to removing artifacts from reef wrecks I personally don't have a problem with that. The preservationist and archaeologist will argue that, yeah, they have no historical value now, but 100 years from now they will. They neglect to mention that Mer Madre will have pretty much destroyed anything remotely collectable for "future generations".
Florida has hundreds of reef wrecks and the recovery of any remaining artifacts is strictly forbidden on any of the commercial charter boats. A hint to private boat owners: rarely is brass removed from the engine rooms, i.e., cage lamps, valves, oilers, gauges, etc. Some engine compartments are sealed off, but not many.
Some years ago I recovered the hull letter L from the wreck of the Goldenhorn and mounted it with a picture of the ship, framed by some of its teak railing. Although it's displayed in my private museum, I'll soon be donating it to the Santa Barbara Maritime Museum for public display. I hope all hard core "wreck ferrets" like myself will ultimately do likewise, even if it's in their wills!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]