Re: 10 years old Certified Diver.

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on August 06, 2001 at 18:46:54:

In Reply to: 10 years old Certified Diver. posted by Dalia on August 06, 2001 at 12:12:29:

My concern with certifying ANY 10-year old (and even some of the 12-15 year olds) is not whether they're "fit" to dive (assuming that to be the physical capability) but where they're mentally capable of diving.

I will contend that a 10-year old doesn't have a real appreciation and understanding that scuba diving can kill you.

I will contend that a 10-year old, a 4th grader, who probably hasn't been exposed to algebra yet, can't possibly have a good understanding of the physics of Boyle's Law, Dalton's Law, and Henry's Law, and why any of these guys matter to us in diving.

I will contend that a 10-year old lacks the wisdom and life experience to judge when a dive is too dangeous, let alone the moxie to tell his buddy - probably his parent - that they should abort a dive the parent is eager to do.

Not too sound too morbid about it, but a friend of mine who has worked at chambers (this is NOT Karl Huggins), is also VERY uncomfortable with the 10-year old cert, and has suggested that a lot of people who are pushing this now will sing a different tune when a 10-year old certified "diver" comes out of a chamber in a body bag.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]