Re: Removing the BC under water-at depth

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill Hamilton on August 08, 2001 at 08:13:44:

In Reply to: Re: Removing the BC under water-at depth posted by DaveJ on August 08, 2001 at 07:44:23:

Dave, I am a PADI OWSI and thought I would add in my two cents worth. I also dive weight integrated except when I am teaching (my rental gear is not weight integrated so most of my students us a weight belt.)

I do not agree with the idea of students training in a weight belt then diving weight integrated. Train with the configuration you will dive with and master it.

My experience may be different than yours because I probably wear less weight diving the Caribean and Gulf of Mexico than you do out in CA. However my suggestion is the same.

When you remove a weight belt or a weight integrated BCD keep it very close to your body at all times. The further you get from the weight the more you will pivot around the weight with your boyant body going up!

I agree with the technique of putting the bcd on your knee, or on your lap which is what I prefer.

If you sit on the bottom with your legs extended and pull a released weight belt around onto your lap you will not rise. Also if you release your left sholder with the clip and bring the tank around you body on the right side you can lay it in your lap, reverse the process to don the bcd.

Note that we are keeping a firm grip and keeping the weight above our body to hold us down.

Have fun and dive safe.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]