Re: stuff happens

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by GLnSD on August 20, 2001 at 18:26:54:

In Reply to: GLnSD posted by John Walker on August 20, 2001 at 18:08:42:

Yes, I have seen many of these things happen, and I have had to personally deal with the
results both good and bad of these things happening.

However I think maybe your are missing my gripe about training for these *things*. I have also seen a
lot of accidents as result of *diver harrassment* in the name of training. I don't see anything wrong with
having someone remove there mask underwater and swim so distance or replace the *lost* mask with a spare or whatever.
I think these are good skills with value.
But ripping someones mask off when it is not expected is not a good *skll* or training aid, its only going to lead to
problems and is in fact dangerous during training, that has been shown in Navy as well as civilian traing. Infact for the
most part the Navy has stopped *diver harrasment* and most of the mainstream cetification agency's do not allow it.

IMO the only reason it has not become a problem for GUE YET is the small number of divers trained and the small number of
DIR divers, I don't mean this in the wrong way but those are the facts as I know them.

I do believe that GUE/DIR would be better accepted if the divers certified by GUE and the principles of GUE would relax a little
and stop trying to force it on people, frankly the we are right and the rest of the world is wrong attitude is just plain
bad for business for them, and more than anything that is what is holding them back...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]