reeeehhheeeehhheeeeaaaaalllyyy

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRM on September 04, 2001 at 21:59:32:

In Reply to: if you leave gender out of it, then you can cut to the primary issue posted by Karl S. on September 04, 2001 at 20:27:37:

OK Karl, I'm just bustin' your chops a bit, based on your previous posts about women. And, with the way my day was/is going, yours was the first dog I saw that was convenient to kick.

To seriously answer your questions though...

Yes, she encouraged me to take SCUBA. I grew up in the water, but spent most of my high school and college days climbing. A few years ago a drunk driver pretty much ended my climbing career (and almost ended me). I lost a year to therapy, and ever since, I've never been able to claw back to the level I was (gaining 60 lbs didn't help, either). She grew up on the coast, and has been diving since she was 15. I have always been fascinated by it, but growing up where I did, the mountains were closer and cheaper.

Was she confident with my watermanship skills at the outset? Absolutely. I feel very comfortable in the water, and actually did quite a bit of freediving prior to taking the plunge. There are times when I'd still rather go free than lug tanks.

Ascertaining one's watermanship is one thing. Making blanket statements about "training them for a year before I'd let them SCUBA" is another. Let's just call it a "friendly flagging." 5 yards for excessive exageration. Nice reverse though.

As far as coping with the learning curve, that's what being a couple is all about. I still remember the first time I took my wife climbing (actually, it was our first date). We took it slow and easy. Same way when we dove together for the first time. She took it slow and easy. For us it's the being together that counts, not "who's the better diver." Who cares? I guess I'm just not ego driven (enough).

JRM

--btw, the therapy is going very well. I'm headed for another session on Thursday, and again Saturday. Headed up to the local lakes to dive under the docks, and retrieve the goodies dropped by my fellow man this labor day weekend (Kevin, I blame you for this). Hopefully it'll be as rewarding as sitting and watching the docks during Memorial Day...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]