new & infrequent divers: buy your own regs & dive computers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Karl S. on September 06, 2001 at 13:25:34:

In Reply to: Oh come on now. Let's get real here posted by Wayne on September 06, 2001 at 12:08:25:

its ok, New & Infrequent Divers, to rent gear for your Open Water One class because the instructor manuals tell the OWSIs not to take you deeper than about 25 fsw anyway, so in case you rocket to the surface like a Polaris nuclear missile you wont get a DCS hit out of it.

its ok, New & Infrequent Divers, to rent gear for your Open Water One class because there will be at least one instructor and one divemaster/AI watching you at all times and its really hard for you to screw up good enough to hurt yourself with to diving professionals around watching your every move.

its ok, New & Infrequent Divers, to rent gear for your Open Water One class because you dont yet know what the heck you want to buy anyway, much less what you can afford. of course, you can always just stick to buying ScubaPro, and then you can rest assured the gear is good to go. a tad expensive however.

unfortunately, not all scuba stores are licensed ScubaPro dealers and so you will have to endure all sorts of advertising crap from the dealers of other inferior brands. be polite, pretend you are listening, and then casually change the subject to something else you need to buy too, like a fish I/D slate for your area.

New & Infrequent Divers, when you finally can afford it, you need to buy (1) your own diving computer and (2) your own regulator system [1st stage, two 2nd stages, SPG, B/C inflator hose.

I own 4 ScubaPro Mark20 first stages, 4 ScubaPro S600 second stages [two of which are O2 cleaned], a ScubaPro miniature SPG, and a Zeagle B/C inflator hose. Guess which brands I highly recommend that you buy? You can rent everything else under the sun. And still be safe.

These off the wall comments were brought to you by:

Karl S.
PADI D/M
TDI Tech student
D.I.W. And Proud Of It

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]