This came up a while back and I changed...

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on November 27, 2001 at 12:05:45:

In Reply to: Legal implications of showing a 'lower level' card posted by Maddiver on November 27, 2001 at 01:09:11:

I used to only show my nitrox card. I think it was an email conversation with Ken Kurtis that convinced me to show the DM card. If I am present at an accident scene and have information that will help in the investigation, I will give it. If I am involved, I will report it. I had heard some reports (rumors) that showing a DM card while on vacation would have negative repurcussions. I have not seen it.

The fears were getting buddied up with someone you do not choose or by the company treating you badly. It turns out that neither of these has happened to me or any of my friends. As far as being buddied, it happens even if you show a nitrox card. You can protest it, but it is typical in many localities. If the "other diver" lacks the experience, they do not stick them on you, they force that person to dive with one of their DMs for a fee. The "bad treatment" seems to happen when people use their DM or OWSI cards to gain priviledges or discounts.

I have found that I get more freedom for myself and my family when the dive operator knows I am a DM and will be diving with the family. They have typically given me much more lattitude to enjoy the dive with less of their "assistance". But they still want to assemble our gear. I really hate that and when I say that I want to participate in my gear set up, they let me.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]