Legal implications of showing a 'lower level' card

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Maddiver on November 27, 2001 at 01:09:11:

I usually show a JR OW card on boats to avoid legal issues and being buddied up with the new guys (most dm's won't put two rookies together). If I get denied I move to the next card up but rarely use professional level card(s) unless some cocky DM won't let my gf dive a deep dive cause she's OW or doesn't have the shiny nitrox card and then I have to bust em out. My theory is that the attorney for any injured diver will go down the line on the manifest or the waivers, ok we'll sue the most senior so mr dm should have pulled a superhero and saved the guy who was not in his buddy team and over 500 feet away...yeah that's really my responsibility...no way in fact that attorney better hope I don't sue his client for scaring me for life as 'Jr' OW diver. So am I wrong to show this lower level card or just attempting to make the parties who should be responsible act responsible or shoulder the reprocussions on their own?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]