Re: Did anyone see: Men of Honor?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TDI_2 on November 28, 2001 at 11:13:04:

In Reply to: Did anyone see: Men of Honor? posted by George Austin on November 27, 2001 at 20:44:49:

1. Dances With Wolves: "You are the only white man I have every known." Chief Ten Bears to Kevin Costner.

I took-in a group of Israelis as friends who lived nearby but who were new in town, showed them around, taught them about diving, "Oh yes, we have scuba diving in Elat, Israel too," explained to them American history with respect to U.S.-Israeli dealings since 1948 and Pres. Harry Truman, the 1973 Arab Oil Embargo from an American perspective, the oil issues in the 1991 Gulf War, and other stuff like that. Know what they told me?

"You are the only American that we have ever known. The others are very quiet and dont talk a lot."

Men Of Honor did not seem very realistic in terms of technical diving scenes, but I think they tried to get at the race issues that predominated in the Army and Navy decades ago. It was probably low budget or the diving scenes might have been better thought out and portrayed.

The way you build bridges is by treating people decently even if they are different than you are.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]