Re: Reality Check, Check-Check, Check Check

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by stwally on December 14, 2001 at 22:21:46:

In Reply to: Reality Check, Check-Check, Check Check posted by Kevin on December 14, 2001 at 08:40:13:

I think a big part of this problem is the "discount " structure of training today, as well as the expectation of instant gratification by the student. What decent instructor is going to teach an open water class when the store sells it for $99? I certainly am not going to make up the lower than ever pay per student in volume. This discount plan goes all the way up the ladder in many cases. Course Directors that guarentee you will pass you IE? What incentive is there to work hard, and make your students work for their cert? It cost me a small fortune to become an instructor, not to mention that I had to work my ass off to get there as well. I see first hand every week on the boats the reduced level of compentency that is required by the major training agencies. I have seen it too during several instructor examinations that I have auditied as well.
As far as GUE or any real continuing eduction for that matter, you can never stop learning. Complacencey breeds laziness and ignorance, which in turn causes aviodable accidents and dramas. IMHO.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]