Wetsuit Recommendations

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jon on December 29, 2001 at 10:22:04:

In Reply to: WOW!!!! I can't believe all the response. You guys/gals are great. posted by Blue Dolphin on December 28, 2001 at 23:19:26:

I would recommend a custom wetsuit. They're not that much more expensive than an-off-the-rack suit and they will be warmer and last longer.

The primary advantage of a custom suit is that because it is made to fit your body, there are less spaces for water to leak in and out. Custom manufacturers also tend to use higher quality neoprene (Rubatex and Yamamoto for example) that have greater resistance to compression at depth and over time.

The skin-in neoprene suits are supposedly warmer than nylon-lined suits, because they form a seal to your skin. However, I've heard the skin-in surface has a tendancy to tear over time.

Most dive stores have a custom manufacturer that they work with. Some names include Aquaflite, M&B and Kettenhoffen.

A drysuit is definitely something to aspire to when you've been diving for a while. A good custom wetsuit will keep you reasonably warm in Southern California conditions in the meantime.

Welcome to the sport and happy diving.

Jon

P.S. If you're ever looking for buddies for beach dives, check out www.sandeaters.org

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]