Why diving with your daughter is NOT like solo diving....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by msblucow on January 04, 2002 at 23:32:54:

In Reply to: Risks of diving with family posted by Wayne on January 03, 2002 at 17:20:29:

Wayne,

I don't want to morose here, and GOD FORBID anything bad should ever happen to you or your child while diving, but I think you're dead wrong that diving with your daughter is like diving solo. The big difference is that if something bad should happen to you, your daughter will be right there to see it. If the worst should happen, your child will have to live with that for the rest of her life.

Again, I'm not trying to be morose, but I think it's something that every parent who allows a pre-teen child to dive with them should consider. Scuba is different from any other recreational activity that humans do in that we need life support equipment just to survive the experience. If you go skiing or rock climbing and you get hurt, chances are you can survive long enough for help to arrive. If something happens to you underwater, you've got minutes to react. Personally, I think that's too much responsibility for a parent to put on their child - and as their dive buddy, believe me you are putting that responsibility on them - even if that was never your intention.

Again, and I can't emphasise this enough, I hope you and yours are never, ever put in that position.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]