Team diving: from a pig's POV

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AADIVER on January 10, 2002 at 19:53:54:

There's a wise old saying: never try to teach a pig how to sing. It just wastes your time and frustrates the pig. I confess to being somewhat of a pig when it comes to some diving procedures, most notably the concept of team diving. First, let me state most emphatically that the DIR/GUE team diving concept/procedure is probably THE safest way to dive on the face of the earth, and if safety alone was my prime priority I would embrace and practice it wholeheartedly or not dive at all. But I dive for personal pleasure and my greatest diving pleasure is diving alone, responsible only for myself. Despite solo being a filthy, dirty four letter word in the expanding tech community, it's what I did and still do, as safely and self-reliantly as I can for nearly 40 years, world-wide. I personally require total concentration on my diving environment and personal gear. Consequently, I would have scant concentration left for a buddy or team member. But it's my way and I definitely don't promote or encourage it for anyone else regardless the level of experienc. It demands the highest level of self-reliance and requires a number of self-imposed limits, i.e., depth and NDL profiles. Solo diving will always be a diving procedure of personal choice for many thousands of recreational divers. I intend to do my utmost to emphacize the importance of acquiring the training, skills, and experience the procedure demands. When it comes right down to where the rubber meets the road, the best buddy we ALL have is right between our ears. It can also be our worst!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]