Everyone seems to want to push responsibility to others

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on February 08, 2002 at 10:51:56:

In Reply to: Quiz time posted by Chris K on February 07, 2002 at 23:08:18:

It "sounds" like this guy was "unqualified" for the dive. But it is not clear from the report if that is really true or had any bearing on its outcome. He certainly had lied his way through his paperwork.

But how was his problem caused by the dive he was about to do? Remember he crashed at the surface -- not at depth. Some folks have heart attacks and a good share of them die. It is sad but true. Even skinny runners die from heart attacks.

We all need to take responsibility for our own safety and that of the others around us. For example, his being unfit for the dive (medical conditions, poor rest and eating habits, etc.) put his buddy at risk. Had this occured at depth, there could have been additional injuries or fatalities.

I keep passing my stress EKG tests even though I am overweight. One doctor said that it is more a function of herdity and activity that BMI. But the day I fail an important test (EKG, for example) I will have to reconsider my diving future.

It is very easy to get proper medical advice about fitness to dive. Spending a few hundred bucks on medical tests is nothing compared with what we spend on gear. That will tell us that our general health is sufficient. But it is up to each of us to ensure that we are truly fit for every dive before we get in the water. If you do not feel well, you do not dive. Simple as that.

I feel sorry for all those involved with the tragedy. But I think it is wrong to condem the industry because a fellow blew a gasket while swimming on the surface from the stern to the anchor line.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]