Cortes Bank

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on April 06, 2002 at 21:01:25:

Took the good skiff back to the Cortes Bank Thursday morning. It was an absolutely perfect run out there, little wind and flat seas all the way. I saw a humpback and her calf on the way there. The whales were being followed by a few sea lions who were swimming right along with them.

The bank was 56-57 degrees and had about 30ft vis. Thursday afternoon there were strings of salps and other strange creatures throughout the water column. I saw small Sardines and Spanish mackerel along with the usual perch, blacksmith, sheephead and broad shouldered calico bass.

The 14 sec. swell can create an interesting surge in that shipwreck. I was pausing for a picture and was suddenly struck by a powerful blast of water from a porthole! That was 'interesting' because it was so completely unexpected....

The current started to pick up later in the afternoon so i made my way back to the skiff, and by then all of the kelp on the bank was down.

The nights on the bank are absolutely enchanting! When the winds are calm the sounds come in from all around. Every few minutes the surge from the swells rolling over the wreck roil to the surface with a hissing sound... the bell, the drone from the clicking of the shrimp, birds squawking in the distance, sea lions playing, ambiguous splashes in the night and the breathing, the breathing....

Sometime after midnight i was laying awake watching the stars and i hear breathing from way off in the distance. As i listened, the breathing grew closer and closer. It was huge whatever it was... After about 10 minutes, it was right beside the boat, sniffing! I could have touched it! I decided to make a little noise and shine the light around to discourage it from nesting in the skiff! I had a sea lion jump in the skiff once before and i don't want to do that again:).

Friday morning was calm and the bright sun beard down from over a ridge many miles down swell. I slipped in water a little after 7am. It was 56 degrees and the current was still up, there was no kelp on the surface. The current shifted during the night, which meant i had to re-anchor on the other side of the wreck. When you are alone and you leave the boat, you always want to swim into the current to get to your destination.

Friday morning, the life on the wreck was poised to receive the debris from the prior evenings flow, salps and all manor of 'stuff' from the depths. The sinoritas were the first to sample the new offerings. Seldom do you see unmolested salps in the kelp forest. I searched for an interesting subject....

Not able to find a truly interesting subject, i reluctantly climb out of the water. Weather radio reception from the bank is not possible on the good skiff so as planned, i make the run to The Island of the Blue Dolphins. After about 8 miles and 3 drizzle dousing, i decide that the dark clouds up ahead are best avoided, so i dilly-dally around for a while before committing to heading home in earnest. 10:30AM. 92nm from Alamitos Bay, i finally accept that it is time to make the run home...

On a straight run, i could split Catalina, east or west. I hedge my bet by running to the West end of San Clemente where i may catch a quick night. The weather forecast is not favorable, so i decide to ride the easterly wind and run around the East end...

199 nautical miles, many beautiful sights. A glimpse of the bank has me yearning for the next time i am lucky enough to return...

At sunup this morning, the winds were up and a mild clearing was in progress.

What a privilege to ride the cusp of the next onshore flow back to safe harbor, yet one more time.....

Here is a look at the hole from where the unsuspecting blast of water came...

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=13455

Brad

(loves the sea)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]