Matching the profile

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by h on May 21, 2002 at 10:08:05:

In Reply to: Logging Computer Assisted Dives in Your Log Book posted by Art on May 20, 2002 at 21:08:34:

Your computer is basically doing depth averaging. So why not match it with the table? If you log relatively soon after egress, then you can cheat and back-figure the pressure group based on your computer's "allowed" time at depth. Most modern computers will allow you to scroll through a theoretical "depth" of your next dive, and tell you how long you'd have at that depth. You can use your tables to back-calculate your pressure group based on that depth, time, and how long you've been out of the water. It seems like an awful lot of trouble though, I just generally do the depth averaging thing.

I also have the stuff to pull the log out of the dive computer onto my PC. That makes it easy to keep a backup of my paper log.

For my paper log I use a transit book, like surveyors use. I got in the habit of using them when I did a lot of field work. It allows me the freedom to modify each entry appropriately. When I first started I used the "log" book sold by the dive shop. But after two fillers, I decided I didn't like the rigidity of the system. I had a bunch of old blank transit books laying around, so I started using one.

I've been thinking of switching to wetnotes for logging. The best of all worlds, and it doesn't get trashed if it gets wet.

h

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]