Re: Various...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on July 08, 2002 at 19:18:02:

In Reply to: Various... posted by seahunt on July 08, 2002 at 15:01:58:

Seahunt said: "It is largely beach diving that teaches the best diving skills of California."

I'm not so sure I'd agree with that. Beach diving simply adds a physical component. Take a look at Veteran's Park in Redondo. OTHER THAN the walk down and the demands of a surf entry, you've got a sandy bottom with generally no current. What's so tough about that?

I think what teaches the "better" skills are things like limited vis (which you certainly have at a beach), currents, kelp, a varied bottom to navigate around, colder water (which you also have at a beach), surface chop, and stuff like that.

Not that there's anything wrong with beach diving (I really enjoy teaching our free beach diving class as well as our free night diving experience - which is also done at the beach), but once again, I think it's an extremely small % of people that do it and to focus your energies there is counter-productive. I'd much rather spend the limited time we have making them into good boat divers, because - regardless of how many of them beach dive - boat diving is what 99% of them will end up doing.

(P.S. - Note the second shameless plug for our FREE classes. When you're hot, you're hot.)

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, CA

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]