Re: Good point

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on August 22, 2002 at 11:19:07:

In Reply to: Re: What I resent posted by Jason on August 22, 2002 at 01:20:38:

Fair enough, Jason. Your point about cajoling Tim was particularly well taken. There was some of that. Just for clarity, however, I never raised any issue other than the use of a 50 on a dive to 150.

Ultimately, the diver is responsible. No argument. Perhaps you interpreted my remarks as advocating some form of scuba or morality police. Such was not my intent. My point was far less extreme than that. I believe there is a middle ground between "scuba police" and "anything goes" where the lessons of the past (not just Darren, but others, as well) get remembered and passed down. To me that's part of what makes us a community of divers, rather than just a collection of divers. Some may be suspicious of that logic or see it as presumptuous.

It may surprise you to know I see the logic of Tim's position. He's the boat driver and to him it's a business. Tim is very good at what he does. He's also very clear on his position. From a business and liability perspective, it is perfectly sensible, unless the casualties mount up, that is, and that hasn't happened, yet. In the end, though, it's Tim's business to run, not mine. And, in all fairness, I am a prime beneficiary of Tim's philosophy since I go on his most extreme trips and want to continue to do so.

Just out of curiosity, though, would you dive the Moody on a 50?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]