Re: What I resent

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jason on August 22, 2002 at 01:20:38:

In Reply to: Re: Hey Tim posted by tecdiver on August 15, 2002 at 18:23:42:

Geesh, yet another nameless one.

Which statements did you find inaccurate? Most of them were stated opinions anyhow, so accuracy is a non issue.

What I see here is an attempt to force everyone into your line by cajoling Tim, since the divers aren't listening. Since you need a boat to do these dives, you removing the captains would achieve the same goal. Fortunately, there's no chance that Tim would buy that line.

What this really comes down to is the question of whether or not people can dive at 130-150 on air. I think they can, though my personal limit is closer to 140. Trimix would be great, but I'm not interested in the training effort necessary to use it given how rarely I hit these upper depths, nor have any strong urge to go to deeper wrecks.

These dives can also be done with singles, just not for long stays, or beyond the decompression limits.

And when you suggest required training, again I say, from who? You wouldn't accept a Gillian cert, and the GUE guys that I would trust are not instructors.

The bigger question that comes to mind is what is the motivating force behind all this? Has there been a string of fatalities, or any beyond the Douglas deaths at these types of dive sites? Farnsworth last year took out visitors from Arizona. The mass of solo diving (or separated buddy) deaths were at more pedestrian depths.

What can one conclude besides a lack of desire to share? Might it make diving safer? Maybe. But only by disallowing people to take informed risks. You take away the potential lows of a death, but at the same time, you remove the highs. I'm not willing to do that to anyone else. I decide what is 'safe' enough for me. Not you. Not Kendall.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]