Re: You may not agree with the MMPA

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by msblucow on October 01, 2002 at 23:19:14:

In Reply to: Re: You may not agree with the MMPA posted by Capt-Strange and Grumpy on October 01, 2002 at 18:36:21:

I think there's a difference between using "seal charges" to chase away sea lions and actually shooting at them - even with rubber bullets. At best, you'll scare only a few specific sea lions away, at worse, you are going injure or maim your target.

As far as "nature taking it's course", if I understand your statement correctly, you're talking about removing legislation that prevents seals and sea lions from being actively hunted. I don't see that as being a "natural" solution at all, but yet another artificial layer we humans try to impose on the world. I can't speak for captains on the west coast, but I can tell you I've been on a few fishing boats on the east coast, and those boys were lousy shots (they were going after sharks horning in on the customer's game fish). Somehow, I don't think letting a sea lion swim around for a few hours/days/weeks mortaly wounded is a humane solution at all.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]