Thought I would share some information from DFG...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by NightDiver on October 04, 2002 at 15:32:55:

We were diving in Laguna Beach on opening night and, surprise, surprise, we ran into F&G. Anyway, while we had the opportunity, I probed a little bit regarding some of the regulations.

Particularly, I was interested in where commercial traps were placed in respect to identified marine preserves. For example, Diver's Cove in LB is a marine preserve which extends out, I have been told, 200 yards from the mean high tide line. However, every season, I notice that commercial traps are often within 50 yards of the beach.

Their response...the commercial fishermen have been placing traps at Diver's Cove for many years, and, in fact were placing traps there well before the preserve was designated. Therefore, they feel that their right to access to the preserve should be grandfathered. F&G doesn't appear to want to fight them on this.

So, by extension, if I went lobster hunting at Diver's prior to the establishment of the preserve, does this mean my right to access should be grandfathered as well. Somehow, I don't think this will fly.

Thoughts? Opinions?

DSAO,

NightDiver

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]