One more thing... Here is an example of some 'recent' events...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jb22 on October 24, 2002 at 16:39:51:

In Reply to: Mis-typed your OWN NAME? You meant "No Common Sense" posted by jb22 on October 24, 2002 at 16:29:37:

Remember the 20 fathom (120 feet) rockfish closure?

Well.... before that, I would normally VERY rarely see the BIG commercial guys or the party boats close to public beaches/shores.... However, since the 120 feet closure, I have seen them not 200 yards from shore. I have seen them in the Kelp beds at Leo, Deer Creek, Refugio, slicking up the kelp, and wipping out MASS numbers of near-shore fish. It is also my opinion that the sand bass, Calicos, and Sheep head have gone down QUITE A BIT in abundance in those kelp beds, since the closre. In one occasion, while diving, I surfaced to see a 'party boat' so strikingly close to me that I decided to call the dive... And this was on a BEACH DIVE.

And like some say "you ain't seen noth'n yet"... It WILL GET WORSE. As long as the decisions are made based on mis-information, and "feel-good" data instead of solid scientific (and some freak'm common sense), things will continue to go south....

You want another example? Abalone.... Why was IT so mis-managed?.....

DFGs mentality seems to be "Lets let the commercial guys take what they want....let's just wait until the resource is gone, then, lets close the WHOLE THING to everyone".

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]