Re: Read the Rockfish take/seasons for Rec. Vs. Commercial...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by msblucow on November 04, 2002 at 21:15:42:

In Reply to: Read the Rockfish take/seasons for Rec. Vs. Commercial... posted by Ed on November 04, 2002 at 08:16:45:

I agree with you that the commercial fishermen do far more damage than diving hunters will ever do, but I think you miss what I'm getting at here. The MLPAs are one (very important) piece of the puzzle. By setting substantial areas aside, areas that are closed to ALL consumptive uses, you create an area where fish stocks can mature, reach maximum breeding potential, and start reproducing at a greater rate. I don't understand why any reasonable person with a lick of common sense would think this is a bad thing. I also don't understand why there's this perception that us "tree-hugging" (kelp-hugging?) environmentalists think that the MLPAs will solve everything. Nearshore commercial fishing, coastal over-developement, pollution from uncontrolled runoff, massive poaching and enforcement problems, as well as a 99% loss of coastal wetlands are all huge problems that need to be addressed as well. We've taken only the first step. The pressure needs to be kept on until one by one, these other issues come to the forefront and are addressed.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]