Re: We need to keep going....

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by finfan on November 18, 2002 at 13:08:47:

In Reply to: We need to keep going.... posted by msblucow on November 18, 2002 at 09:10:02:

I don't know if I agree with Brad's assertion that the bulk of commercial catch goes offshore. No doubt a lot, but I see swordfish on every resturant menu I've been to here at home. I don't believe that "where" it goes is the point. Too much of it goes and I think that is something we all fundamentally agree upon (even though, this board will argue the "whys" until we die).

That's why I would support significant reductions in the commercial "take" even to the point of sacrificing some individuals rights to earn a living. But not to the point where we no longer have that piece of our heritage. I can remember the days of the tuna fleets and walking around the piers when the fish were unloaded. That's how my Dad got me hooked (pardone the pun). I still get a kick out watching my young daughters face when we visit point loma near opening lobster season and all the live local lobsters are in the tank.

The reserves might be a start, but you get the gill net and long liners on the ballot and you have my vote.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]