Re: It's a matter of outlook

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Finfan on December 14, 2002 at 10:29:08:

In Reply to: Re: It's a matter of outlook posted by Brad on December 13, 2002 at 14:01:54:

It's clear you have a disdain for anyone who has ever fished and makes a living off of the sea doing it. I think I even understand some of your reasons behind your feelings (over harvesting, depletion etc).

But I guess what I don't understand is why you are so focused in on just the fishermen aspect of the problem. Why are you so passionate in your position against commercial fishermen and not as passionate against others that profit from nature? (Maybe you are and I just haven't picked that up?)

Pollution caused by our local businesses causes a tremendous amount of damage to the ocean ecosystem and everyone of those businesses is doing it to make a profit, yet in previous messages you haven't called for their removal. If I recall you have basically dismissed the impact of pollution. Developers who have used up most of California's prime estuary systems for plush water front housing have not come up as "villians" in your posts, yet realistically they have undoubtadely made more money off our coastal resources than any group of commercial fishermen. Last I looked, there aren't too many commercial fishermen living in the nicer neighborhoods around.

To some extent I admire your passion, even though at times it borders beyond the extreme, yet this continuous bashing of one group of people(commercial fishermen) makes me wonder if there isn't some other deeper reason behind your position. Just curious?

P.S. - Just so we don't start another round robin, I agree with you, but to a much lesser extent, that the commercial fishing take limits need to be more restrictive. As a businessman though - as far as I'm concerned if they can get more $'s oversea more power to them and I hope they make a profit (commercial fishing is some of the hardest work I've every seen).

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]