Alleviating underwater digital camera fogging.

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on July 30, 2003 at 14:14:34:

One of the problems with underwater digital photography is fogging on the inside of the lens port. I believe this problem is especially severe with the plastic housings, since the best heat conductor from inside to out is the fluorite glass port.
Any residual moisture in the camera vaporizes as the camera heats up during use. To minimize this problem one needs to both minimize the heating, and minimize the available moisture. Minimizing heating is accomplished by reducing the power dissipation in the camera; this also produces the side benefit of increasing battery life.
To reduce power dissipation:

To minimize available moisture I use silica gel desiccant packs inside the housing. I have also found that “baking out” the camera for 24-36 hours before I put it in the housing is a great help as well.To bake out my cameras I open the cameras up as much as possible, and place then under a 60 Watt lamp. This heats up the cameras enough to help rid them of moisture, but not enough to cause any damage. If done properly the camera should be very warm to your touch. You must ensure the cameras do not heat up above the specified storage temperature. (140 °F. for my Olympus D-40s)

”moistureOlympus D-40 Moisture exit points

”cameraCameras under the 60 Watt Bake-out Lamp

.... Chris Grossman, diver.net

©2003 Chris Grossman, diver.net

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]