Heard of Blue Whales off West End of Catalina

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Captain Tim on September 21, 2003 at 20:50:43:

I am not bragging, just trying to make a point. I have been boating and diving in So Cal for the last 30 years and have seen only 2 Blue Whales, until the last two weekends.
Last weekend on Saturday and on the way to the West End of Catalina I spotted a Hugh water spray from a whale. As we approached this magnificent beast, two more showed up to give us a show. I was not sure then that they were blues, and we all enjoyed the show.
Then on Sunday, on the way back from the backside in about the same spot I sighted the spouts again. As we got closer we saw three of the beasts. We closed in slowly, and they did not seem to care at all that we were there, unlike the grays and humpbacks. These were sort of gray mottled and Hugh. As we approached two of them one came up along side the GE, and was as long as her. What a sight. We saw six in all.
Yesterday, Saturday, we came across them again. This time seeing 3 of them. The largest around 80’. They must be the same group, but why are they staying? Is the terrible vis good to bring these great beasts?
Hopefully many of you will get to see them. I know that some great shots were taken and also a video. I am trying to get a copy of the video, so I can post it.

Captain Tim Burke
Great Escape Charters

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]