they are having fun!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on November 11, 2003 at 11:08:22:

In Reply to: Re: question: dolphins hitchhiking GE posted by Farallon on November 11, 2003 at 06:53:21:

Hello Farallon~

Dolphins are so good at survival that they do indeed have time to play...

I agree that they are riding the pressure wave created by the bow pushing the water away, but they also ride on the bow of the good skiff and it is a flatbottom.

i've watched them on many occasions from the bow and have footage of the same one looking up at me for over three minutes. Every once in a while, one will kick real hard for a few seconds and move forward just a few feet but somehow be able to glide for an inordinate distance before picking up the pace again. i just don't get how inertia works that way, you certainly couldn't do that on a bicycle...

i share your concern about them accidently contacting your prop. Being creatures who survive on their ability to create and detect sounds in their environment, i have to assume that they are keenly aware of the danger of the prop. I have never heard of anyone actually striking one, but even animals can make mistakes. I always slow down just to be sure it never happens..

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]