Re: Solo Dive Ques./ Pony Tank Backup

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on March 07, 2004 at 21:35:16:

In Reply to: Solo Dive Ques./ Pony Tank Backup posted by B. Xavier on March 07, 2004 at 18:30:32:

I always dove solo with no backup air and had no problem for 25 years even though I have usually used what many people would call sub-standard gear. I did have an air 2 type reg on my BC.
When I got married, I wanted to do something to improve my safety. I couldn't figure out a good idea until I used some borrowed gear and while ascending from a fast tough shore dive (110 feet), the second stage fell off it's hose. It had been put on loosely. An Air 2 would not have helped. It was a dangerous situation.
I have done a lot of free diving and do not get excited even when in an emergency, though I often do swim hard. It is unusual for me to be past 80 feet and I had planned that if past 100 feet, I would probably buddy.
I went to a LDS with my regulator and put it on a 6 cu ft tank to see how long I could breathe. I didn't finish the tank even before figuring that it would get me to the surface safely and perhaps even with a bit of a stop. It is convenient and small enough that I have no reason to leave it home, though I do not use it if the dive will be less than 30 feet.
Try one in a dive shop and see what you think.
... Fun diving up there. Challenging too. I spent a lot of time at Point Buchon.
Enjoy the diving, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]