Dive report / Reef Seekers 4-10-04

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Johnson on April 11, 2004 at 13:56:31:

Left the harbor at 5:00AM on the Great Escape for Farnsworth Banks for an all day dive trip, with the Reef Seekers Dive group. Arrived at 8:45AM and had a 20 minute safety briefing. There were 26 people on board and they allowed 1/2 to go in while the other 1/2 had to wait. I failed to understand the significance of only 13 people diving at a time. Seems like if you're experienced enough to dive Farnsworth, all should go.

The next dive they wanted to move the boat around to Arrow Point (front side of Catalina). This was a 2 hr and 15 minute surface interval for the first 13 divers. They said we can make one long dive or two short dives, because we have to be back in the harbor by 5:00PM. I was one of the first divers in, and had a 34 minute dive. 15 min. after I returned from my dive, we were advised that we were heading for home. It was 1:30 in the afternoon, and we were told we wouldn't get back until 5:00PM.

Upon arriving at the dock at 4:00PM, after only making 2 short dives all day, I feel the Reef Seekers Dive group made poor decisions. One normally makes 4 dives on a one day trip. 2 dives for $110.00 and an 11 hr boat ride, seems a bit out of line.

The Great Escape is a great dive boat, and has a great crew. I'm just a little disenchanted with the Reef Seekers, and the way they organize an "advanced" dive trip. What do you think?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]