Re: Need Help/Equipment Advice????

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on September 14, 2004 at 17:42:47:

In Reply to: Need Help/Equipment Advice???? posted by TomR on September 14, 2004 at 14:24:18:

Since you don't want to buy again if you go extreme, I strongly recommend a backplate and wing instead of a BC. A backplate will accommodate single tanks, doubles and stage bottles more than a BC. After a thousand dives or so, you will have to replace the harness webbing. Twenty bucks or so is a lot cheaper than buying several BCs. Many of us on this BBS wish we had known this sooner. :-)
As for regs, diving in the 100 foot range does not require an expensive reg. Any reg on the market will serve your needs for relatively shallow diving. Buy cheap and use the savings for boat trips.
There is nothing wrong (IMHO) with a computer console for recreational diving. If you think you might venture into technical or deco diving later, a wrist mount computer or bottom timer is more convenient and less likely to be dragged across the sand or reef.
As for online shopping, I research prices on all gear before I make a purchace. If my LDS has a reasonable price I would rather buy from them. I don't have to pay for shipping and wait for UPS to arrive. Also, it's nice to support the place you go to for fills. It's a little difficult to get air from LeisurePro. If warranties are important to you, buying online does not guarantee you will get one. For hard to find items, online shopping is great. If your LDS has to special order an item for you, it will likely take as long as it would if you ordered it yourself and cost more.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]