Re: Luxfer says O2 > 23,5% needs O2 cleaning

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on November 10, 2004 at 12:46:34:

In Reply to: Luxfer says O2 > 23,5% needs O2 cleaning posted by Chris on November 10, 2004 at 11:02:50:

Suspect lawyers have much to do with it, particularly after the fatality at Renneker's. I've heard of no new "science" on this which might otherwise inspire such a change. Regardless of the fraction specified, partial pressure filling means 100% O2 in some amount is going past the valve into the cylinder under pressure (aka heat). Add a contaminant to that and... Just like NDL's, there's nothing binary about 23.5% or 40%.

The bottom line is, and has always been, treat O2 with respect. I would never partial pressure fill a tank if there was a chance the valve had contaminants. I would never crank open even a needle valve. I would never breathe anything out of a tank which was "dirty." I would never leave a high PO2 tank sitting in the sun, hooked up to a titanium regulator or sitting in a plastic truck bed liner, either. There is no reason to ever use silicone grease on any part of a regulator.

Forrest Gump had it right: "stupid is as stupid does."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]