diver.net

Re: Re: Re: Responsible Spearfishing, diving, and fishing

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on September 16, 2005 at 14:01:30:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Spearfishing, diving, and fishing posted by lobsterdon on September 16, 2005 at 13:48:28:

Deb is assuming responsible activity.

There are people who spearfish on scuba and then leave their catch on the boat, or leave it in such a manner that you know they never intend to eat it. There are a number of people that I have seen who spear fish only for the sport of it and as a means to entertain themselves for a day. This is a senseless depletion of resources.

Moving fishing boats to the backside of Catalina isn't going to solve anything either. It will just deplete the rosources on the backside of Catalina. I keep waiting for a plan from Fish and Game to address the issue of assuring a solid replenishment of fish and I have yet to see it. Hopefully the MLPA meedtings with the "stakeholders" aren't like some of the meetings that I see where I work. People feel good because they are contributing but there is such a lack of leadership - nothing seems to be accomplished. One of the best lines I've read recently was in the book "Hawk" - if you look at every city and town you will never find a monument to a "committee".

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to