diver.net

Re: Setting the Record straight about the Great Escape

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dr. Bill on October 14, 2005 at 17:20:25:

In Reply to: Setting the Record straight about the Great Escape posted by Erik Wade on October 14, 2005 at 16:50:09:

I can't believe that the SC DM on board or the crew would not address the issue of what appears to be bad air. This seems to be a serious disregard and a potential source for significant liability.

I have previously outlined my problem with a Great Escape charter that was supposed to go to San Clemente, but dove Catalina instead (selecting some pretty questionable dive sites IMHO).

I have spoken with a few professionals in the SoCal dive industry and have been told that there seem to be an unusual number of trips in which the intended destination is dumped in favor of Catalina's leeward side. I have even heard talk about limitations on total hours travel with a single captain, with longer trips requiring a second captain when there was none on board. Like newspaper reporters in Washington, I will go to jail rather than reveal my sources.

Now I have no complaints about diving Catalina! I've been doing it for 36 years. However, I definitely do not like taking a boat to "the Big Island" to catch a dive boat over there that ends up bringing me right back to Catalina!

I do not doubt that the Great Escape takes many trips where divers have a great time. However, I do know that based on my meager experience with them I have a lot more questions than satisfying answers.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to