diver.net

HID light spooks them usa Halogen or Xenon - DO NOT SWAT BUT SET UP THE GRAB

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on October 21, 2005 at 09:13:41:

In Reply to: Re: Psychology of catching... posted by Jon on October 21, 2005 at 08:16:01:

First, I'm assuming this is a night dive as tactics on a day dive will be different so this is the technique that I use on a night dive.

I have an old UK 400R with the 18Watt halogen - a very bright light with 4 matched Nicad D cells that last an hour at most. I hold it in my right hand and approach the the bug, moving my right arm out to the right a little. The bug will usually move towards the light, a little to the right, which will set up my left hand for the grab. I move the light in a circular motion to get his attention and distract him from my left hand which I slowly move closer to him. Watch his antennae and if they move back, towards your left hand then he is detecting your grabbing hand. Stop your left hand movement and increase movement of your right hand with the light. When close enough thrust your left hand down on the carpace, stay away from the tail and try to pin him at first. Once immobilized, then use your other hand to control him and get him into your catch bag.

You will only have one shot at grabbing the bug, so setup is important. If he detects your left hand during the setup then he may move backwards and you will be pressed to make a move.

I don't own an HID, but have repeatedly heard that bugs are spooked by this light and retreat. My Halogen amazingly makes them move toward it, possibly from curiosity?

Good luck!

bit so I

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to