diver.net

Jacket-B/C vs back-inflation-B/C vs backplate-wing/STA

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by North Coast Diver on February 24, 2006 at 11:22:19:

In Reply to: DSS single-tank rig posted by jonny on February 23, 2006 at 17:04:43:

A Jacket style B/C is strictly a learning device for a new diver. Once you are past that hurdle, then you have the choice of a back-inflation-B/C vs a backplate-wing/STA for single tank diving.

The integrated back-inflation-B/Cs take ALL the weight off your belt and put it on the B/C. The backplate-wing/STAs take SOME of the weight off your belt and put it on your back.

Depending on how much weight is left on your belt, you may or may not be more comfortable with either/or.

Best thing is to try them both out first before you buy.

I use a backplate/wing for my twin tanks, for which a backplate/wing is perfect. For cold water single-tank diving, I find however that a backplate/wing requires me to have TOO MUCH weight remaining on my belt, such that the belt is not comfortable anymore. For warm water dive travel, either the backplate/wing or the back-inflation-B/C is fine, however the backplate will need to go in your checked-in luggage, or else it will trigger the security people at the Xray machines.

Therefore I only use a backplate for twin tank diving, not for a single tank.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to