diver.net

A new, and different, Chamber Challenege

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on March 21, 2006 at 21:46:44:

As many of you know, I started the Chamber Challenge a few years ago as a mechanism to "challenge" the dive community to get more fully engaged in the donation process. I suspect that most people agree that by all reasonable accounts the Challenege was a much greater success then anyone of us could have imagined. Consistent with my comments about infusing fresh ideas, and outside the box thinking, I feel it's time to get the "professionals" more involved and to offer a way for them to get more involved. As we all know, teaching scuba diving is by no means a lucrative proposition, for most it's a labor of love. To that end, it might be unfair to ask dive instructors to donate money, but since most do it for the love of the sport, perhaps we can figure out a way to allow "professionals" to donate time, in lieu of money.

My plan, and I'll be the first to donate my time, is that if we can get every instructor in our local area to "donate" one class per year as a Chamber donation class allows the instructor to donate their services rather then lay out cash. I propose that each instructor in the area offer to teach one class per year and rather then accept the fees for such class to have the students donate their money directly to the Chamber. In that regard, I plan on offering a DIR-F class the weekend of May 5, 6 & 7. I charge $300 for the class plus a $30 fee to GUE. The standards allow for a 6:1 ratio, but I normally use 2 instructors and limit the class to 10. That is a $3,000 fee for which I will have the students make the check directly payable to the Chamber.

If you consider how many instructors we have in the area, and if we can get each instructor to donate one class per year to teh Chamber the numbers are extraordinary. This can be any class you teach; OW, AOW, Rescue, Peak Performance Bouyancy, etc, etc, etc. The possibilities are endless, and the money all goes to a good cause.

So what say you instructors, do you accept the Challenege? I also strongly encourage shops, agencies and clubs to get behind this effort and support this new and innovative way to raise funds that have been heretofore unattainable.

I hope you will all accept this Challenege.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to