diver.net

Re: aluminum hulls

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patrick on May 27, 2006 at 10:16:44:

In Reply to: aluminum hulls posted by stephen clark on May 26, 2006 at 14:22:39:

Maintenance on aluminum boats is very easy, but they are really hard on the body. Even fiberglass boats seem to have some "give" when an elbow or shin catches an edge, but on a beer-can boat you'll have a spectacular black and blue mark to take home with you. When we were surveying the Cape Flattery area in the aluminum, Munson-built Tatoosh, we became a very colorful lot.

My Radon - though out of service for a while - is a great boat, sea-wise very comfortable and though I'll get !hit from Mr Tribolet, it is better riding than the Whaler clan in those nasty afternoon chop situations. I know both - probably diving Whalers more often than Radons, currently, so this is based on a lot of experience.

Most recently, I've been executing most dives from another fine northern product though not Pacific Northwest, a Farallon boat out of Sacramento. An awesome dive platform. Fast, stable comodious, and, again, softer edges than an aluminum boat. To forestall any flames, there are some very fine aluminum boats, and I've dived off many, but if I had my druthers, I'd prefer a dive platform that treats me a easy as possible.

My two cents...

Stay wet.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to