diver.net

Re: Re: Life insurance questions

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Diver Z on August 24, 2006 at 10:11:20:

In Reply to: Re: Life insurance questions posted by Ross-O on August 24, 2006 at 09:55:30:

I've had life insurance for several years with two companies related to my employer. Last year I thought I'd consolidate my insurance coverage with one of the companies that had cheaper rates, and let go of the other one. So I called the company with cheaper rates and asked them to price out a policy with higher coverage (about 6-7x my annual salary).

Two of the questions triggered red flags. First, they asked if I had plans to travel outside the U.S. within the next year; I told them about a planned dive trip to the Caribbean. They told me to come back and reapply for the insurance after I got back from the trip, because the premium would be lower.

But the other question was a bigger deal. They asked if I scuba dive (yes), how often (2-4x per month), how deep (~100 feet). Based on this they said my premium would be approximately twice what it would have been if I hadn't been a diver.

I decided to bag it on the new policy, and just keep my two existing policies. Since I started diving a few years ago after I originally took out those policies, apparently there is no effect on the policies about having taken up diving.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to