diver.net

Re: Re: Diver death. What happened??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on August 25, 2006 at 19:03:30:

In Reply to: Re: Diver death. What happened?? posted by Todd S. on August 25, 2006 at 14:51:10:

Todd wrote:

"All you need is O2 to ascend and do all deco stops"

I agree, it is an interesting problem. The one thing about accident analysis that is incontrevetable, is that when the diver dies solo, all we are left to do is speculate. In the instant case, his diluent was apparently changed the morning of the diving day. Presumably if there was an issue with respect to the diluent, one must assume that it would have happened on dive 1 or dive 2. I think most reasonable people will conclude that the diluent wasn't at fault.

Accordingly, we are left with only a few additional assumptions to ponder:

1) Human error;

2) Heart attack;

3) Equipment failure.

I guess what troubles me is that since his body wasn't recovered until the next day that we will never know why his air supply was depleted. Let's assume for a second he actually had a buddy that was watching him, within seconds, if not a minute the body would have been brought to the surface, possibly with the ability to survive, but whether he survived or not, the speculation that we are now left with would have been totally avoided as we would know in real time where he was respecting air, equipment, or what have you...

There is an old adage in the dive industry that applies to a solo diver, I think Jess Armentrout said it, but whoever initially authored it I want them to be credited:

"We'll never know for certain what would have happened had the deceased had a buddy, but we do know for certain what happened without a buddy"..

Later

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.