diver.net

Maintenance Basics

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jason on October 02, 2006 at 17:20:51:

In Reply to: Re: Diving has changed a great deal in 25 years. posted by kio on October 02, 2006 at 16:02:15:

Here's some basic info:

After each dive, rinse everything; make sure there's no sand/salt drying on it. I wash off all my neoprene and hang it up in a shady place to avoid sun damage.

I also pour water into my BC air bladder to clean it out of any dirty sea water that might be left in there, and rinse it out as best I can. I also remove the low pressure inflator hose so I can pour water directly into the BC, as well as clean the interior of the inflator hose.

I clean my gauges and regulators and periodically soak them overnight in warm water to prevent salt from building up and stuff like that. Helps prevent free flow.

I try to rinse off my tanks and weights as well to prevent corrosion and preserve them a bit.

As far as other maintenance goes, you need to have regulators, octos, and tanks maintained every year. Regulators go in to a shop to get parts replaced and checked out, and tanks are checked for cracks, corrosion, and to replace the O-rings. Tanks also need a hydrostatic test every five years to see if they're still in good enough shape to be pressurized.

I don't service my BC much, nor my gauges, but I know that you are recommended to.

Hope this small start helps!

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.