diver.net

shady tanks on Craigslist?

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by adam on February 06, 2007 at 00:09:03:

hey all, came across a guy selling some used Al 80's on Craigslist. after a couple email exchanges, decided the guy was pretty shady, so am considering firing off a nasty reply. am i being too harsh?
(see email exchange and hypothetical nasty reply below).

-----------------------------------------------------------------

adam wrote:
Hello,
Saw your ad on craigslist for the aluminum tanks. I was curious about some other info..do you know how old the tanks are? And when they had their last hydro, visual, and/or eddy current tests? also would be great if you happen to know what alloy aluminum they're made out of (particularly if they're Alum 6351). Thanks,
Adam
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/spo/272964028.html

Subject: Re: aluminum tanks
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 17:30:19 -0800 (PST)
I've had them for 10 years. They have been great tanks for me. I've used them in my own hull cleaning business, while I was going to College of Oceaneering, and after as a commercial diver. during that time I kept them well mantained. I'm sure both need hydro and visual. I'm no longer diving, so my change in career paths can be your opportunity. Call to come by to check them out if interested. phone number was on the add.
regards

adam wrote:
hi,
I guess what i'm after really is all that good info stamped on the neck of the tanks. "DOT-3AL...etc, etc....hydro test dates, etc". That stuff will tell me pretty much everything I need to know. if you could pass that info on sometime, great, otherwise i'll pass. thanks,

Subject: Re: aluminum tanks
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 20:06:09 -0800 (PST)
Hi Adam,
The blue tank with the tank boot has the following:
CFC/DOT - 3AL3000-580
P188590
It had the hydro and visual in 08-01
The blue tank without the boot has the following:
3AL DOT-E6498-3000
P223111 USD
It had the hydro and visual in 08-01
hope this helps,
regards,

---------------------------------------------------

HYPOTHETICAL NASTY REPLY:

i'm glad i know to ask the right questions, and i hope you don't end up unloading those old tanks on some poor, unsuspecting newbie.

i suspected these were old tanks from the start, which is why i asked for their age. your answer, that you'd "had them for 10 years" wasn't a straight one, which made me even more suspicious. if that's really how long you've had them, you obviously got them used, which makes a huge difference. finally, i hoped to confirm the age by simply asking for the stamp info, and of course you left out the dates of manufacture and the original hydro history, which would've given an accurate age.

from the other info on the stamps it's pretty obvious that they're 20+ years old. not only that but at least one is made out of that troublesome Alum 6351 alloy.

if you've been in commercial diving for so long, you either: 1. know about these issues and are being a jackass by trying to pawn the tanks off on someone who doesn't know any better, or 2. you're really fucking stupid. do everyone a favor and be up front with your shitty gear in the future. hell, i might've still bought those tanks from you knowing their age, but the mere fact you tried to hide it makes you untrustworthy.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to