diver.net

Mast design

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank O on September 11, 2007 at 16:33:58:

In Reply to: Re: I saw this on the Conception and Vision out of Santa Barbara posted by Chuck Tribolet on September 11, 2007 at 15:27:27:

The boat I was on in Hawaii used a rigid metal mast that I'm recalling as being smaller in diameter than the size of the lights. Then there was a series of three "antlers" sticking out on one side (think of a T-fitting to the mast itself, then an L fitting), each of which had one of the lights. Although theoretically the light intensity would be diminished if you were looking at it from an angle where the mast was directly in front of the lights, since the lights are wider than the mast they wouldn't ever be completely obscured.

I've heard some small-boaters theorize that "Restricted Maneuverability" means a boat that is doing commercial diving (hard-hat, etc), and they don't think this rule or the alfa flag requirement applies to them. I've also heard arguments about being in state vs. international waters. Being a belt-and-suspenders kind of person, I fly both an alfa flag and diver-down flag during the day, and am inclined to gin up a set of these lights for nighttime. I was just curious what the usual practice is among the charter dive boats, since I wasn't remembering seeing either alfa flags or these red-white-red light sets locally.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to