diver.net

Actually, Michael misses the point . . .

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on November 27, 2007 at 09:28:13:

In Reply to: Mike has a good point posted by Jeff Shaw on November 26, 2007 at 21:49:05:

The point of the article has nothing to do with computers. That's simply the example I used as a jumping-off point to the larger theme.

The point of the article is that when we dive, we agree to abide by certain "rules". But then we break those "rules" when they become inconvenient.

My computer experience is just an example of that. I'm not as sold as "computing tables in your head on the fly" as Michael is, but that's not the point either. That's the way I choose to dive and I'll be limited by that "rule". On the other hand, if Michael chooses to go with computing-on-the-fly, then that's the rule he chooses to deal with. The point is NOT which rules you coose to operate under but that you stick with those rules ojnce you've chosen them.

There's a guy I know who was doing some really deep dives in Truk. He wore two computers: one primary, one backup. After one especially deep and long dive, computer #1 said he needed X amount of deco time. Computer #2 said he needed 2X deco time. He told me (this was after the fact - needless to say, NOT one of our trips) that he decided to go with computer #1 simply because he didn't feel like staying down as long as #2 wanted him to.

Wise decision? Well, you would like to think you're living by the rule of "follow the most conservative computer". He got away with it in this instance. Maybe it was a good call. But the point is that he essentially changed the rules because they became inconvenient.

This doesn't just apply to computers. Lose your buddy but you're getting lots of bugs? Ah, he's probably OK. Running below your minimum air pressure but there's still stuff to see? Ah, you can probably make the tank last longer. We see this all the time.

The point is: Play by the rules you choose to be limited by. Don't suddenly change them because the limiatuion becomes inconvenient.

- Ken

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.