More details

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank O on December 12, 2007 at 11:02:24:

In Reply to: Say hello to lobster report cards posted by jon on December 09, 2007 at 07:35:19:

Here's a response that a fellow on a fishing board said he received from DFG with some more information on how it will work. Note that although the cards will be available earlier, it says the requirement will be effective as of next fall's season opening.


Thank you for your inquiry into the new report card regulations for spiny lobster-- here are the answers to your questions, provided by our marine regulatory specialist, Marci Yaremko:

How much will it cost?
The new lobster report card will cost $7.50.

How often do I need a new one?
Whenever you fill your report card, you will need to purchase a new one. Cards are valid for the full calendar year, just like your fishing license. There are 56 lines on which to record your fishing activity, so for the vast majority of people, they can record all of their fishing effort for the year on a single card (unless they fish for lobster more than 56 times per year). There is no limit on the number of cards one can buy (unlike abalone and sturgeon cards). The card is good for the entire year.

is it by season or by month or by trip?
Each line on the card is for fishing activity with a particular gear at a particular location on a particular date. The sites are fairly general; for example "Zuniga Jetty" or "San Clemente Island." Before you leave to fish, you must record the date and the gear and the location you are fishing. Upon completion of the trip, you record any catch you take, or that you didn't catch any lobster. If you move to a different location (i.e. to a spot that is within a DIFFERENT location code - say you move from Pt. Loma to La Jolla) then you need to complete the line on the card for Pt. Loma and then use a different line for La Jolla.

Does everyone on the boat need one?
Yes. The cards are issued to individuals. And like your fishing license, you must bring the card with you on a boat. If you are diving from shore, you may leave your card and license on land if you are staying within 500 yards of the shore.

Who needs to have one?
Any person fishing for or taking lobster.

Do kids under 14 need one too?
Yes, if they are fishing for or taking lobster. So if an adult and child are on a boat and they return with a limit for the adult and one for the child, then the child must have a card.

What's going to be the process to submit this card?
Return it to the address specified on the card by January 31.

The card requirement will take effect when the season opens fall, 2008. The December issue of the Marine Management News newsletter, set to be posted on the Web site shortly, will feature an article describing the new regulations for lobster, sturgeon, abalone, salmon and steelhead. One of the best ways to stay up-to-date on changing regulations is to sign up for the Marine Region Electronic News and Information Service at www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/subscribe.asp. When you subscribe to the service, you will receive e-mail notification of press releases, newsletters, and other informational bulletins. It's a great way to stay informed. If you haven't already done so, I'd encourage you to sign up!

Please don't hesitate to contact me with further questions you may have.


Mary Patyten

Mary C. Patyten
Research Writer
California Department of Fish and Game
Marine Region
19160 S. Harbor Dr.
Fort Bragg, CA 95437

Follow Ups:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to
help prevent spam bots
from flooding this BBS.
Text Key: