diver.net

This is not a cheap sport to "dive" into

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Walt on April 06, 2008 at 21:28:08:

In Reply to: Re: Check your local YMCA or Community College (nt) posted by Chuck Tribolet on April 05, 2008 at 19:31:55:

Chuck is correct in that you need to consider all the other costs associated with getting into this sport. Plan to spend $350 to 500 on basic gear purchases and rentals for just getting started.

You'll need to buy your mask, snorkel, fins, booties, gloves and usually a hood and compass. If you can find such basic gear used that fits, you'll save a lot of money as you will in all liklihood change / tune your gear as you gain experience. Plan to rent the wetsuit, BC, tank, regulator and guages for your first dozen or so dives.

One advantage of a non-profit program is that it will not "push" a brand or piece of gear. I've seen beginning students loaded up with all sorts of questionable or extraneous gear by a store. Some also push boat diving too much.

Compare programs, ask how many pool sessions are provided and if they provide skin and beach skills training as a part of certification.

Ask youself - why do I want to learn to scuba and how serious am I about learning it?

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to