diver.net

Socallers coming north to ab dive.

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric S on April 11, 2008 at 17:51:33:

A little bird landed on my shoulder the other day and whispered to me that there will be a bunch of hard core socal bug divers coming up here to ab dive, camp, and basically terrorize, rape, pilage, and plunder the North Coast, HOOOORAHH!!!

I just want to reiterate how anal the wardens are going to be on the regs for abs. I'm telling you this as a friend and fellow dive bretheren, OK.

Make sure you have your license, card, and tags WITH YOU WHEN YOU DIVE in a water tight container such as an otter box or multiple zip lock bags. Make sure you have a pen that works, make sure you know what the date is that day, and bring a small wash cloth towel to dry your mitts before you fill out the info.
As SOON as you get out of the water get to a safe spot and begin the process of tagging and filling in the info.
The first thing you do is fill in the tags in the proper numeric order and attach them to the abalone through one of the holes with a zip tie. There will be a location code on the tag and card. Make sure you know BEFORE HAND where you are diving and fill in the proper location code (Don't screw it up!)
Carry two pens in case one fails and keep them dry and in operating condition.
After you get the tags filled out and attached fill in the card. Make sure all the info jives between the card and the tags (times and lacation codes).
The time you put down is the time you exited the water.
Don't take more than 10 to 15 minutes to complete this process.
Oh yes, and the limit is three in your total posession.
DO NOT remove the meat from the shells unless you are preparing the abalone for imediate consumtion. DO NOT transport any abalone out of the shell under any circumstances. Leave the abs you plan to take home in a cooler filled with ice and let the abs suck down on the sides of the cooler. Make sure you leave them tagged and untampered with.

The wardens are in full force this year pulling resources from all corners of the state. They have enlisted the services of the local sheriffs department and they mean business. They will most likely have road blocks in place and will be checking vehicles. One small infraction and you're screwed. You better make sure you cross you T's and dot your i's.

This is just a friendly informational post to our southern bretheren.

Just make sure you do everything right and you won't have any problems.

Relax and have a blast!

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.