diver.net

Re: I dove White Point June 6

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rich on July 11, 2008 at 15:49:00:

In Reply to: Leo Carillo/Malaga Cove/White Point/Veteran's Park posted by B. Xavier on July 10, 2008 at 16:22:39:

Three of us dove White Point on June 6 for the very first time, and had a mixed experience. We were able to park right next to the entry point which was nice. I have seen the entrance closed from time to time and not sure why, but it was open on this day. You can check the conditions from the top of the bluff before driving all the way down. We "thought" the conditions looked pretty good from above on our day. When you get to the bottom of the hill, hang a left and park as close to the end as possible. There is a trail that continues on where the road ends, and the best entry cove is the first one past the lot, just past the big tide pool no doubt filled with kids looking at starfish. The entry & exit were tough, I won't lie. Slippery cobblestone boulders run 20 yards out or so under knee high surf before it gets deep enough to float out. The cove is very protected so the surf isn't high at all. But the small surf makes it just difficult enough not to see the bottom very well, making it tricky to get good footing. We each tried a different method. One of us ended up getting tossed around pretty good when he lost his balance. In the shallows I just got on my belly and float/snorkel/crawled my way to deeper water which worked pretty well. Stay to the center of the channel on the swim out and don't get too close to the big rocks on either side. A couple free divers we met there got too close and claimed to get banged up pretty bad. Halfway out the channel we dropped down to a bunch of large boulders and followed them down to some good sea life, but only 5' vis or so. The vis opened to 8-10' in spots, and 2-5' in other spots, as we went out further and deeper to the sandy field straight out. We looked around a short while but had to cut the dive short because "someone" used half their air just trying to get off their back on the entry (it was quite funny to watch). The exit was a lot easier because we knew what to expect and look for, but still easy to tweak an ankle. In the end, I'm sure I'll dive here again. One of my buddies said "never again." There are better sites just up the coast, but they require a longer hike. Good spot though for variety if you choose a day with calm conditions. Hope this helps. Good diving.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to