diver.net

Re: Dumb Idea: Sugested Reading

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Pasley on October 28, 2008 at 10:17:23:

In Reply to: Dumb Idea: Sugested Reading posted by Truth on October 28, 2008 at 08:59:44:

They are paying off no-one. The simple fact is NO ONE CARED when they were offered the opportunity to speak against it. Where was all this concern when we (the dive community) had our chance for public input?

The public hearing at the Rancho Palos Verde City Hall was properly published. I did what I could by posting notices here, on www.divematrix.com and www.scubaboard.com as well as to sandeaters.org at least a week before the hearing to ensure the dive community was there to speak against it. Yet at the public hearing who from the dive community (or any other) was there to speak against it? I was the only person to attended the meeting to voice my concern. This is how it has been at almost all of the hearings on the project I might add. One other diver from the PV Dive Club spoke in favor of the sand. There was another hearing at the California Coastal Commission as well.

In short, just like the elections, everyone has an opinion and concern AFTER the fact, but are too busy to care (vote/speak) when their voice counts.

Lowe's Resort is trying to do a good job and is environmentally concerned. I will point out again that the sand will be 8 feet above the EXTREME high tide line (not the mean, the extreme)and will only be on the flat part, not go down to the sea. They believe only the 100 year storm (like we had a few years back) would cause an issue and then the storm surge would dissipate the sand far out to sea. I don't agree, but as one voice there is only so much I could do. RPV is trying hard to be a good steward of the coast line. I have spoken at hearings (I live in Lakewood an hours drive away) and they have listened to my input and on ocasion required changes to the project in the past.

So if this is a concern to the divers out there, they need to attend the public hearings at the RPV City Council Meetings and again at the California Coastal Commission (I will mention that a RPV City Councilman also sits on the California Coastal Commission). There are two chances to speak out, yet we as a community are mute. If we (the dive community) had spoken and been defeated it would be different, but we did not speak up when we had the chance. We (the dive community) have no one to blame but ourselves if the project ruins a great dive site.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to